View Single Post
Old August 9th, 2021, 06:49 AM   #3
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

I agree with Jim... Your on the right track.... those carbs are not that easy to clean but if you cleaned them WELL... they should work...
if your getting good spark your half way there ! now compression !
the Ninja I have has shims for adjustment of the valves ( that's a bad thing in my view) but on the good side you can go 7500 miles between valve adjustments ! and that is a long way !
I made a extension for my compression gauge by taking a piece of 3/8" copper tubing and putting a valve core stem rubber on the end... I had to glue the rubber in place so I could push hard on it to seal up on the spark plug hole
the compression gauge pressed against the copper tube... which I flared using a flaring tool to make that easier... my compression tester already had a rubber tip on it... so I just had to manage keeping the seal between both rubbers and then crank it over....
don't forget to open the throttle when doing the compression test... (I always forget that)...
if it won't start with quick start then it at least should POP and fart...
if that's the case the valve timing might be off....
quick start can blow head gaskets I know first hand experience on that.
but you do what ya gott'a do ! if a little quick start ain't getting it use more !
you SHOULD get at least some reaction from the engine with the quick start
if you get nothing then I suspect compression or the lack thereof !
good luck
Bob....