View Single Post
Old August 12th, 2021, 07:14 PM   #13
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

a word of caution on compression testers... I have seen several through the years that didn't work straight out of the box....
Definitely check valve clearance ! zero is a good indicator that a valve is open
(or you got a hole in a piston !)
back in the day I used to just put my thumb ofer the spark plug hole hold the throttle open and give it a kick... if it pops your thumb off the spark plug hole your good to go.... but you can't get your hand down into the spark plug hole on that Ninja !
You might be able to remove the valve shims on both the intake and exhaust side of No#2 to see if the compression readings come up... but what ever you do do NOT mix up those shims ! keep them separated and marked where they come from....
..... right now I am thinking valve adjustment.... but WHY is it off that far
did the valve seat go away....
I think it would be a real good idea to just pull the head.
I do not know of any KIT for rebuilding the 250 Ninja... but I have been out of it for a good 15 to 20 years now and haven't been keeping up on stuff.
....I think your better off pulling the head than pulling the engine, but the choice is yours if you had it out where you can actually work on it it would be ever so much nicer !
I do not know if you can take the head off with the engine in the frame or not.... the manual should say. but I would at least look-see
Bob.........