View Single Post
Old August 14th, 2021, 10:02 PM   #23
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

both very true Danno ! and a hole in the piston does also point better than stuck rings as they usually will have some compression....
it is not looking good..... pulling the engine just might be the easiest thing from the get-go !
I personally like to have an engine Out where I can see everything from any angle... roll it around on the cookie sheet and see everything, Big cooky sheets are hard to find, but picking one up from autozone is easy, they call them drip pans ! LOL worth their weight in gold !!!!
.... diagnosing engine problems is something I've always loved, but also something I have learned to be wary of... you never know what you may find inside a hurt engine... there are so many reasons an engine won't run ,or run right.... you can know all the signs and still miss it ! especially if your not doing it...
I've been into engines every sense I was 8 years old working on lawn mower engines with a rope pull start.... till now ...and I still don't know all the
signs ! some times their elusive, other times it's as blaintant as can be.
the hardest thing I've found to diagnose is a perfectly running engine that has an occasional miss..... by definition they are almost impossible to find
I suppose that is why they put the diagnostic things in cars years ago...
so the poor mechanic has a fighting chance to fix it right the first time ! LOL
later !
Bob........