View Single Post
Old August 16th, 2021, 04:52 PM   #30
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

well, that's your LOW compression reason.... NOT Zero compression but compression gauges aren't all that accurate most of the time so I think we can disregard the Zero compression reading now....
signs of rust.... probably from just sitting for decades, but with the collapsed rings....I would suspect it over heated at some point in it's past. perhaps water leaked into the cylinders(from a bad head gasket perhaps) causing the overheating in the first place. which would hurt the rings....
when an engine runs Hot the first thing to go is the temper in the rings ....
were the rings stuck to the piston all the way around by carbon ?
How do you come to your conclusion the rings have collapsed....if their intact ?
I wouldn't bother messing with the valves myself, just clean them up good
blow into the port and see if they hold pressure , if so your good to go !
No scoring on the cylinder walls ?..... You are a lucky person !LOL
.... I have no doubt it will run again....

I say put in new OEM rings and run it that way before you go to the expense of a complete rebuild.... it probably doesn't NEED a complete rebuild !
in my view a bike doesn't need a complete rebuild till 50,000 to 75,000 miles
....but that's a ambiguous rule of thumb... the odometer tells nothing of how it has been maintained . so use your own judgment !
it's good to see you got the head and cylinders off.... that should revill all the evils that are keeping that thing from running.

later...
Bob.........