View Single Post
Old September 24th, 2015, 01:50 AM   #21
Linkin
Down Under

Name: Linkin

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki ZXR250C Ninja

Warning: Novel Incoming

Regarding the fairings, the incorrect pieces are going to be replaced with the correct ones at no cost to me, so that's nice. I expect I'll be waiting another few weeks at least - that's fine, it gives me time to get the fuel tank overhauled & repainted. It'll look the goods with the new fairings.

Today I moved the bike back to my garage. I've started work and soon will only have 1 day off a week between work and study. Since the virgin fizzer suffered a water pump failure & after replacing all the seals and bearings in it, it STILL leaked, it has been punished.

I've removed all the bits I need from it to get it running. It took me all day, but I got the 3LN6 mostly assembled and running on all 4. I love these carbs with the new needle design so far. I wager the new iridium plugs help a bit as well. After getting some fuel in it started no worries. Very little white smoke out the back until everything warmed up, then no smoke at all.

There was a lot of faffing about with the fuel hoses though... the outlet from the tap to the fuel pump & carbs spring a leak. You could actually pull it out with your hand. The spare was stuck solid and I think that's how it's supposed to be. To fix it without changing taps, I turned the tap off, pulled the outlet hose off & dried it out, and then used this stuff called Rapidfix - it's great. It's like a 2 part epoxy but one part is powder and the other is liquid. Once you mix them it starts hardening straight away.

Got some of that on there, tapped the outlet back onto the fuel tap as the adhesive was hardening already, left it for 5 minutes and it's worked - no more fuel leak out of the fuel tap!

But - there was another issue with the fueling system. The fuel pump was going but wasn't getting any fuel. I tried swapping the hoses on the pump but then I just got bubbles in the fuel tank - the hoses were correct the first time. The issue ended up being the brand new ryco fuel filter - couldn't get any fuel through it. Switching back to the bodgy car one (which incidentally worked fine and captured rust flakes from the tank) which is clear, turn ignition on and it fills up with fuel and the pump goes quiet, indicating it's getting fuel through it!

As I said, started up without an issue and running on all 4. Nearly finished getting it rideable. Just need to put the screen, mirrors & fairings on, and whack the new drive chain on. Then ready for a blueslip. I think the wheels look good with the blue fairings & tank. Still going with the original colours though.

Linkin is offline   Reply With Quote