View Single Post
Old June 16th, 2017, 08:45 AM   #2
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by little1199 View Post
Here we go! I purchased a bike with mods already done. Some of the mods seems to be working well and others I've dropped in favor of stock or other parts. I'm completely new to bikes in general. Matter of fact, most what I have learned has been from this forum. I've ran into the following situations the search bar has been limited on.

1. Based on the K&N replacement filter and exhaust (and stickers) my bike is jetted. Great! Except for it's using the loudest muffler possibly built for these bikes. If I drop the full exhaust and move to stock pipe with a slipon, do I have to rejet completely since I do not know what stage is currently installed? I would assume stage 1 or 2 based on the air box still being installed but the assumption is made on limited knowledge.

2. Tires- 150 on the rear is almost new. 120 on the front is trash. Is the difference in handling justifiable enough to replace the rear tire with the front or should I order a front, wear out the rear and then replace with correct sizing?
1. I doubt you'll have to rejet for an exhaust change since you are probably running a non baffled pipe now and most slip-ons are non-baffled also. Check your spark plugs and if the porcelain is chalk white increase the main jet size. The plugs should have sort a rusty color. The slip-ons may not be much quieter. I just installed some Yoshimuras and they are fairly loud at cruising speed.

2. I would stick with O.E.M tire sizes. Oversize tires do you no good whatsoever and your rim width probably won't properly accommodate the extra width. A wide rear tire my increase your testosterone levels but the bike won't perform better. I like to replace tires that match but a different front tire won't put you in a ditch.

Bill
Ram Jet is offline   Reply With Quote