View Single Post
Old June 30th, 2019, 03:29 PM   #1
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
Dirt bike crash type 3 tibial spine avulsion

I crashed (as I do) my KTM last Saturday. Leg got caught in forks (how?), went down to the right, my body kept going straight, heard a snap, manually reached in there and twisted my leg back into a natural position. Long story short my ACL ripped a chunk off my tibia. Type 3 tibial spine avulsion they call it. There is a chunk of my tibia "hinged" upward preventing me from bending or straightening my leg (and hurting, A LOT). Surgery to fix it on Tuesday. They're gonna drill a hole up through the tibia, thread a wire through, loop around the chunk my ACL is attached to, drag it back down, & essentially safety wire my tibia back together. Hoping the ACL itself is not damaged but since we couldn't do an MRI (couldn't straighten my leg) they are not 100% sure. CT scan I guess doesn't show ligaments very well.

And yes, it's as painful as it sounds. The ortho doc drained 60cc of blood out of my knee 48 hrs after the crash (I didn't go to ER since I take people there and I know the deal).

Sigh.

Off the dirt bike for weeks, maybe some, maybe a lot. I don't know the healing time. I do know that I'm 26 and healthy and heal very quickly so I'm optimistic!

I was wearing knee guards, but not braces. And my full dirt setup.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6350.jpg (55.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6426.jpg (51.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6436.jpg (80.1 KB, 20 views)