View Single Post
Old August 16th, 2021, 12:35 PM   #8
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Most practiced skill ????
I'd have to say "braking" ...let me explain, I'm an ol' codger that learned you never touch the front brake when riding dirt.... and use it very sparingly on the street.... We know better Now days, so I am into practicing braking everywhere I go.... some day I hope it will become habit, but so fat the only habit that is there is hit the back brake. so I have a long way to go....
.... Next would be cornering judgement.... speed into the corner,lean angle and
how much braking and to what point before I release the brakes and roll on the throttle.... so far my practicing has been very conservative... in cornering
but at one time I could really rip through the corners.... not any more !
and I accept that.... I have to build up that skill again, or I will surely go off the high side... .
.... I think the most important skill you can have is how to stop your bike as fast as possible.... it's far more important than any other skill .....
but keep your eye on your rear view mirrors as the car behind you cannot stop near as fast......
I had a signal light change from yellow to red as I was approaching at the speed limit , I grabbed both binders and stopped the bike at the line
but the pickup truck behind me had to make a panic stop behind me... he came to a foot of hitting me... when he slid to a stop.... remember that !
you may not be as lucky.... I picked out my escape rout and was ready to execute it but a car came from the other direction and prevented it... so I watched him slide up to me... I did pull up a bit LOL..... if I hadn't he would have hit me.
the street is by far the most dangerous place for a bike rider to be. Car drivers do not see you, they pull out in front of you even with your lights on
.... they didn't expect to see a bike so they didn't see it.
I lost count of the times people have pulled out in front of me on a motorcycle... I usually just maneuver around them and go my way and they look so shocked to see me pass them... there is no need for Rude Gestures
or anything of the sort.... they well know what they did wrong.
if You get so Pissed off that your ready to fight when some one does that to you then you should not be riding a motorcycle...
Suck it Up Guys..it happens !
to Ride a motorcycle on the street is a exercise in defencive driving.
you will not be treated like your a car.... your a nuisance to car drivers....
and you don't want to piss someone off as he's driving a 2 tone object that can run over you....
Keep it friendly, keep it polite, be forgiving and you'll live longer !
Bob.....