View Single Post
Old October 8th, 2021, 01:22 PM   #12
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcillion View Post
It is seized, just wanting to know if factors like a new engine, speed I was going, or the amount of oil left in it that might point to which part of the engine that may of broke.

But it seems pretty hopeless, probably will just get a used engine replacement. I don't wanna get rolled by the mechanics and sales team though.
Whenever engines siezes from lack of oil, cylinders and rings are fried, crankshaft is scored on main and rod journals, cam lobes and buckets are scratched beyond repair and all oil passages plugged with bearing shrapnel. You're looking at $15-20k worth of machine-shop services to repair, or more. If it's even possible.

Swapping engines is easy. I've 250 swap in parking-lot of track in less than 2-hours to get teammate back to their next race. 400 maybe 3-4 hours max. Slightly more difficult because rear swingarm attaches to engine instead of frame.

Finding replacement engine at decent price is most difficult part. You can pay full-price for engine $3k+ and be on your way today. Crashed totaled 400s can be had for $500-1000. Look on usual sites: FB, eBay, craigslist, OfferUP, etc. SearchTempest.com is good for looking at multiple Craigslist locations. Good idea to set up automated searches on all of them .

Here's crashed & totaled auctions. All 400s look like they've got minimal damage, will probably go for $1000-1500. When one comes in that's been rolled off cliff with all bodywork ripped off and square wheels; it can be had for $500.
https://erepairables.com/salvage-car...e/vid-49347019

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; October 8th, 2021 at 07:52 PM.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote