View Single Post
Old October 11th, 2021, 04:54 PM   #18
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcillion View Post
I held the clutch in to spam shift down from 6th, got to 4th before the engine died, and i continued to shift while holding the clutch in to neutral. Got to a stop, flipped engine switch off and on, tried to start but just clicking. Attempted a push start after that for about 10 feet but nothing. Just sounded like a starter issue.
This really sounds like electrical failure and it died due to lack of ignition. Could be caused by dead battery. Very well could be case depending upon how long it was sitting before you got it. Explains why you didn't get any warning-lights on dash for overheating coolant along with low oil-pressure.

Clicking starter-solenoid is also sign of dead-battery. Weak battery would at least give you low-spinning engine, wrr-wrr-wrr-wrr..

Another test is to put it in 1st-gear and bump-start it. That is, turn key ON, kill-switch ON, hold clutch in, push up to as fast as you can, hop on and release clutch. Your weight slamming down on bike will give tyre traction and releasing clutch will cause back-tyre to spin engine (instead of starter).

1. IF... your back-tyre locks up and drags, then yes, it may be seized engine.

2. OTHERWISE, bike may actually start if battery has just barely enough juice to power ignition-system.

3. BUT... if back-tyre spins engine, even without starting, you'll know engine's not seized.

I don't trust this shop, symptoms you're describing is NOT signs of seized engine. It would've given you flashing red lights about coolant overheating and low oil-pressure for at least 5-minutes before actually seizing.

Anecdote story, back in '86 when Honda's new VFR750F came out, it set numerous world-records. Afterwards, Honda didn't want those bikes falling into competitors hands, so they had engines destroyed. This was done by draining all oil from engines and running them WOT on dyno until they siezed. It took over 2-hours of running without oil for them to seize!

Another related story, I crashed my '86 VF500F early-on and cracked clutch-cover. All oil spilled out of quarter-sized hole. Being stupid teenager, I didn't know what oil-light meant and I just ignored it after starting up bike again. Drove it 30-minutes back to my parents' house with no oil. My dad scolded me and said I probably toasted my engine and he'd help be take it apart to repair. Once we got cases separated, measured main & rod-bearings and found they were all within spec with no wear!!! Crank and rod-journals were pristine and shiny! That was 35-yrs ago and that same engine is running fine in my bike today! Bottom-end anyway...

So... I suspect your engine's not seized. Just some basic electrical troubleshooting needed. Do you have AAA or towing-service with your insurance? Get your bike away from that shop immediately!
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote