View Single Post
Old November 11th, 2021, 04:18 PM   #67
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

yah..that's what I was thinking as well....
well.... what would cause it to drop a cylinder at 1200rpm and lower...
low compression would cause that...
carb issue of not getting enough fuel like Danno says...
ignition failure at low RPM ( unlikely )
so what would cause the lean issue in the carb....
....DIRTY carb....
plugged passageways and the like...
air screws adjusted too lean... ( this doesn't act like that...)that condition usually is characterized by a sputter rather than dropping the cylinder to dead condition below a certain RPM...)
sense I almost never change the needle clip condition EVER.... I can't say I know what the conditions are for the clip being too high or too low.
I believe that is signified by a sogg on acceleration for too lean or a blustery sound and alot of smoke....for too rich.
if anything this may have a sogg upon acceleration, but really that is yet to be determined.
still sounds like a carb issue to me ! ...but how can that be? their clean !
well I said that 3 times for the SX650 and finally found a passage way that was plugged... so I MUST be missing something
setting for 15 years and the owner cleaned the carbs, I have cleaned the carbs as well... but evidently their dirty or it would run correctly Right ?
so I'll pull the carbs and do another complete tear down of each carb and pay special attention to that fuel air screw passage way....
putting my hand over the carb throat and it picking up the cylinder at idle told me alot.... that cylinder is too lean to run at idle ...but why ?
I'll try one more thing and turn the air screw out 1/2 turn more on that side
only and see if that makes a difference or not before I tear into it again.
later !
Bob....