View Single Post
Old November 12th, 2021, 03:38 PM   #72
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

OK here's what I did.... I pulled the airscrew again... and got the compressor fully pressurized, ( last time it only has about 20 psi in it) and I blew into the air screw hole several times... and got gas all over the place I also plugged the big hole in the end of the bell of the carb at the same time...
if it was going to come out with the use of air it would have that time !
... I put the air screw back in set it to 2.5 turns out and tickled the carbs...
turned the key on and kicked it and it fired right up ran for about 1 second and then died.... it's still not getting fuel.
the next attempt I just tickled the carbs after several times kicking it to no avail and after tickling the carbs it fires easy.... the choke was on full all this time too BTW.... I kicked it and if fired up and I held the RPM at 2500 to 3,000
and held it there for a few seconds then tried to reduce throttle slowly and soon as I got down to around 2000RPM it fell on it's face and died there was no recovery... I tried giving it throttle at that point but it just died anyway.... no fuel obviously !..... the smallest piece of wire I could find is a tiny spring that I straightened out and tried in the hole of the pilot jet... no go it is still too big ! that has to be a 2 micron hole or something it really is tiny....
so I am left with 3 options I suppose, 1#)pull the carb and try from the other side to find the blockage.... from inside the carb itself although I know all those holes are clean.... 2#) replace the 40 year old carburetors or 3#) send them to Ducatti man and see if by chance he can un-plug that pressed in pilot jet......
Replacing the carbs ( both of them) will cost close to $1000.00 bucks
but I can see the logic in doing that as they are warped on the intake flange
and that is why the slide didn't want to slide very good on the left side... the right carb is the same way..... but that carb works... at the moment.
...although the warpage isn't an issue any more as I have corrected for that
( mostly) they seal up fine now...
so I am left at that conundrum.... replace or not to replace and possibly face the same issue in the future again. .... it's a tough one !
....incidentally, the petcock on the left side at the rear of the gas tank that was totally plugged up... has no screen over it and hasn't had for a long time
which is probably the reason for all this trouble in the first place.
I am going to order a new petcock with a screen and replace it.
... while I try to decide on what to do !
...later !
Bob.....