View Single Post
Old May 30th, 2014, 10:56 AM   #128
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigballsofpaint View Post
I dont think the overhang really matters until the pads become so worn that they end up rubbing against themselves, in which case you basically have no front brake, if that is even possible (im not sure of the pad thickness and rotor thickness). So it is something i would rather take care of anyway.

But your right, i can still run this GB just to get a count. Im not going to require deposits or anything, but i dont want to make 10 brackets if only 2 people will buy them.
That issues is actually impossible in this instance as it is on the inside diameter or the contact part of the rotor not the outside.

again it is very very minimal and I still find it hard to believe it is the cause of the feedback I was getting.

This is a wave rotor, I have never used one before so I am thinking some of the feel is from this and I think it is amplified because of the squishy lever and I just took a spin on my lunch break and I definitely need to clean the rotor, brake pads and caliper again.

^these three things I think are all part of what I am experiencing which is like a stuttering at low speed light braking. <-- the frequency of the stutter I think has to do with either the waves on the rotor or the supports of the rotor where they meet the braking portion of the rotor (that little bit of overhang would not be touching anything and then meet this part of the rotor causing an effect) <-- this is a theory, over hang is 0.01-0.02 of an inch so IDK if it would have an affect.

Could also be effect of different areas of friction, caused by wave rotor again, or dirtiness of rotor, pads ect... or combination of both.

It is not noticeable at highspeeds with light or heavy braking, or harder braking at low speeds. So this makes me think the squishiness of the lever, fluid system might also play a role.

I think the "problem" is non issue and one or two easy fixes will clear everything up no problems.

But again, just took a cruise 30 miles no issues.

will ride home, remove caliper, inspect and clean everything with brake cleaner, put it all back together and I expect everything to break in and have no problems what so ever. New lever MC should be in hopefully in a week or so :thumb up:

edit: got the brake system today, that was super fast. I wasn't expecting it until next week at earliest. Hopefully i can get it together this weekend as long as i have all the bits ect...

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.

Last futzed with by subxero; May 30th, 2014 at 05:35 PM.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote