View Single Post
Old September 19th, 2018, 07:56 PM   #2
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
If I could have only one bike it'd be a modern supersport, because I ride on the track.

But I have a track bike. So....

I'm a big believer in owning a vehicle that's ideally suited for most of what you do. This is why IMHO it's stupid to buy a ginormous SUV that can haul the whole football team across boulder fields, when 99 percent of the time what it gets used for is single-driver commuting. Yet I see that all the time around here.

This year I decided that I've had enough of putting along at 35 mph on a 750cc supersport, looking at the ass-end of Audi SUVs every bloody morning. It had become abundantly clear that the bike I ride on the street is not a good choice for street riding.

My riding: Since I ride on the track, I'm there several weekends a season. That means any recreational riding that lets me really enjoy the GSX-R has fallen way off. Most of my miles are commuting. So that argues for something that's happy at low speeds and in stop-and-go traffic... something more upright than a supersport, short enough to be easy to manage at a standstill (i.e. get a foot down easily), with enough power to keep me entertained but not so much that it's just a stupid waste. Having experienced really good suspension, that's important to me. And it has to have some character to it.

I just swapped my GSX-R750 (purchased new, before I got my track bike) for a Triumph Street Triple R with upgraded suspension. JUST started riding it today and I think it was a great choice; it ticks all the boxes, has a terrific motor that sounds awesome and is really nicely styled (with the possible exception of the bug-eye headlights...might do something about that). A lot of naked bikes don't do it for me, especially the more modern Japanese bikes that look like Transformers (I'm looking at you, FZ-10) or are just forgettable origami exercises (you too, modern Z900). This is different. Triumph got it right.

I'm also a fan of the XSR900 and XSR700. The classic Triumphs I can take or leave. Big, heavy, not great on power.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.