View Single Post
Old September 20th, 2017, 11:20 AM   #7
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyshackelford View Post
That is some super helpful info thank you. There is a fuel filter and no rust in the tank. There is gas in the oil though which I will be changing several times to flush it out (and replacing the oil filter). Is there anything else I should do to make sure there isn't any gas left?

I drained the tank not long ago because I thought the gas might be bad. When I did so I just turned the petcock to on and let the gas flowed/trickle out into a bucket. So since gas came out of the petcock without the bike running I guess I have a bad petcock and will be replacing that.

Is there any way to tell if the float valves are bad. I did not see anything about how to check them on the faq.
Draining the oil and replacing the filter once should be adequate. Any gas that's left (it isn't going to be much) is going to evaporate when the engine reaches normal operating temp.

There are petcock rebuild kits out there, but last I heard they were almost as much as a new petcock. Aftermarket petcocks without the vacuum diaphragm are out there too, but they are a pain (doesn't stick down below the tank as far as the original and you need to remember to shut them off manually all the time - we had one - I would avoid them). Check around, there may be more options on kits and better prices on OEM ones out there now.

I would plan to install a rebuild kit in each carb, which should come with new float valves. Check the float levels to be sure they are correct and not causing the overflow by not closing the float valves when they should. Search for info on the best rebuild kit to get, or contact ducatiman here to purchase it from him. He can do the entire job (cleaning, rebuilding, adjusting) as well, if you don't want to.

If you decide to do it all yourself, read-up on it carefully - it's easy to miss a few details that will cause problems later.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote