View Single Post
Old October 9th, 2012, 06:37 PM   #81
Surferboy120
Finding some curves....

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): 2013 300 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Same bike different day, temperature difference of 5 degrees.

So you're telling me the 5 degree difference killed off 5hp? Das crazy mang

Also, I'd be very surprised if the ECU was capable of such acute changes without an O2 sensor. How exactly would it know?
It depends on how the FI setup is on the bike. Cars do use O2 and Map or Maf for correct AF ratios so if the bike doesn't have an O2 then it must being using a MAF or MAP sensor plus IAT sensor, throttle position, and then the short and long term trims are just calculations from that data. The O2 on the bike is primarily for emissions reasons on the stock ECU to ensure good old 14.7:1 stoichiometric AFR that yields the most complete combustion and thus minimum emissions. The real point is that the ECU doesn't require an O2 sensor to manage AF.

One of the things I am very eager to find out from Area P is what we will actually get to control with the ECU management as I plan to learn and tune my bike as well. I am hopeful this forum will have a specific area for tuning information since it looks like there willbe several company's that provide ECU management. I think it will be important to understand what each offers and how we may benefit from that. of course this is all within the limitations of the bike itself. I come from being able to manage cam angles by rpm, and telling the engine when to go from low to high cam. This bike will be severely limited I am sure but still a hoot to tune.

People think you loose so much control with tuning once you go FI but they actually gain more control and more importantly data to manage their tunes.
Surferboy120 is offline   Reply With Quote