View Single Post
Old July 12th, 2018, 05:14 PM   #18
LenardSimp
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Bakari

Motorcycle(s): 2001 EX250R, 2012 EX250R-J

I just did this.
Thanks, BlueThunder, for the idea and the wiring diagram.

I just wanted to share how I did it, slightly differently which I didn't see mentioned:
All the components fit easily inside the existing turn signal / horn / choke housing, and there is space on the outside for the switch, eliminating the need for a separate external switch.

I got a small, waterproof, lighted toggle switch from the auto parts store for about $3 (and I had a few diodes left over from doing the mod to the turn signal indicator that stops current leaking through when you use LEDs instead of the stock bulbs - set of 5 from ebay for $3, free shipping).

Inside, tap into the orange wire to one end of the switch, both diodes to the other end, of which one taps the green wire, the other the grey wire.

In order to make the switch itself flash, I would have tapped the black/yellow that is the horn ground, except I previously reversed the horn circuit (to get my headlight modulator to interface with the horn properly), so I had to run a new wire down through the wiring harness cover to find a different ground, but I could have skipped this and the hazards would still work.

I like how its very clean and simple, no separate switch housing on the handlebar, everything stock. Not to mention, my version flashes when its on. Most important, though, the whole project was less than 5 bucks

In answer to the questions about why anyone would want them:
Within a couple months of buying a new bike (a 2001 ninjette), the spring holding up the center stand spontaneously broke, so the stand was dragging on the ground. This happened over a long bridge, with heavy traffic, and it would catch every time I went over a metal expansion joint.
Another time, about a week after a minor crash, I had a handlebar spontaneously break off. Again, by crazy coincidence, on a bridge, this time in fairly dense fog.
I've forgotten that I was on reverse tank and ran out of gas on the highway once, and had bad fuel in the carb that made it stall on the freeway another time.
Every time, I've really wished I could put on hazards, instead of just a turn signal, to let the drivers behind me know something was wrong and I was about to slow down.

Around here (where lane splitting is legal) a lot of people turn on 4 ways whenever they are traffic surfing, to increase general visibility. I'll probably start doing that too, now that I can.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180712_132658921_HDR.jpg (118.6 KB, 6 views)
LenardSimp is offline   Reply With Quote