View Single Post
Old July 18th, 2017, 05:23 PM   #17
KikRox
ninjette.org member

Name: Nein

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250r se

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Good luck with that. Check back in in 20 or 30 years after life has beaten you up a bit.

Yeah, I'm sure I sound like your dad. I'm probably old enough to BE your dad. Maybe your granddad.

I'm 58. I've been riding for 30-odd years. In all that time I've laid a bike down exactly once, at about 15 mph, right after I got my license. 1987.

Today I ride half a dozen or more track days a year and move along at a pretty good clip. Not the fastest by far, but for sure not the slowest either.

Yeah, I ride fast on the street too (and have the tickets to show for it...). But I'm fully intact and have remained that way for decades.

Why? What's kept the rubber side down for so long?

My $0.02:

Riding safe and riding slow are not the same thing.

Going "psycho" on a bike is never a good idea IMHO, whether or not you feel it's within your skill envelope. Why? Because of EXACTLY what you encountered... the unexpected that by definition you cannot anticipate.

I know a guy who talks the same way you do. He's faster and more skilled on the track than I am. He's young, indestructible, and likes to push it. A year ago he was having one of those "psycho" rides... got air on his street bike and lost it. Slid into a road sign. Compound fracture of his femur. He almost bled out.
dont be so literal. do you not have any fun left in you? when riding a bike becomes a mechanical process where i start analysing things too heavily and stop enjoying doing what they are made for then i will just sell it and move on. Toys are meant to be driven. i'm not saying do what i do, im just not gonna hide that yes I do play and i enjoy the bike for that. If you dont come back with a smile and ride for yourself then you're doing it all wrong.