View Single Post
Old October 2nd, 2021, 09:55 AM   #3
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Wow, if only they'd still require figure-8 test in CA, half of riders on streets now wouldn't have passed!!!

What feels more comfortable typically is what you're most familiar with. But this is not necessarily safest. As defined by how close to edge of crashing you are. You may want to practice technique that has larger margin of safety until you're comfortable with it.

In any given cornering situation, keeping bike more vertical by leaning your body will give you more in reserve. You'll have more clearance to increase lean-angle in case you need to change course mid-corner (tighten line). You'll have more tyre-traction in reserve.

One case I remember, coming around corner on Skyline at around 60mph. Halfway through, I hit some sand/dirt from runoff water. Because I had bike upright, front tyre slide sideways through the dirt. It did lean over another 5-10 degrees, but still well away from edge of tyre. If I had been in-line with bike it would've been leaned over much more and that extra 5-10 degrees would've taken me down for sure!
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote