View Single Post
Old July 16th, 2012, 04:27 PM   #4
edxmon
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R (SOLD - 2/16/2013)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
she probably read it wrong. probably needed to order shims.

unless your bike had serious oil or timing issues it shouldnt need new valves. if it was running fine, they should be fine. unless your mechanic messed them up? the valve/stem is one piece and they are i think $30 for intakes, $50 for exhausts. theres 4 of each.

if they are trying to replace the valve stems for you tell them no. the cost for the service and parts for that will likely be very high. not to mention fixing the cause of the issue which might require some serious work. replacement motors can be had for around 600.
Well ****. I've had the bike for 4 months, how could I not have noticed an issue that is apparently this serious? I've ridden the thing through the MSF course and on the highway no problem. Heck the other owner even took it for a ride when I first came in and he said it was one of the best feeling ninjettes he'd seen. If HE didn't notice something wrong big time I'm beginning to think either you are correct in saying the receptionist misinterpreted something or they screwed up/are trying to scam me. The latter would be ironic because I took it to this shop which is small but established in town regardless of the somewhat high hourly rate JUST to have the peace of mind of knowing they were legit.