View Single Post
Old September 28th, 2015, 01:39 PM   #15
maverick31210
Rides in shorts.

Name: Laurence

Motorcycle(s): 2004 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Imagine yourself in the early 20th century just before the automobile made horse culture go away.

You're a horse lover, unwilling to acknowledge the coming of the next wave. "I don't want one, I wouldn't know where to begin working on it" is exactly the kind of thing a horse and buggy driver would say.

Ten years later the horse is gone and the same guy has a Model T in his barn.

"I can let the horse graze anywhere, never need to worry about range" ditto. Ten years later it's easy to find filling stations.

I totally agree with all the points you make. I'm right there with you. But never say never...

It's coming. We all know it.

The thing that will make me jump is economics. Once it's actually cost-competitive to buy, run and maintain an electric or hybrid vehicle I'll give it serious thought. Until then, I'll stick with well-proven technology that costs less.

Any idiot who can do basic arithmetic is capable of figuring out that gasoline power is cheaper by a long way, even over the life of the vehicle and even at gas prices in the $5 a gallon range.
You know what...

I was waiting for someone to make that argument and you're right, it will eventually happen but for now I'm going to fight it as much as I can LOL.

I just don't think the infrastructure is there for electric vehicles yet. If there was a charging station at every gas station, then sure but even then you have to wait hours (not sure how long those things take to charge). The technology has grown by leaps recently but I just don't feel like it's there.

I have a strong feeling that when I'm older and electric vehicles are all the rage, I'm going to be like that one old dude that everyone knows today who refuses to give up his carburetors because he thinks electronic FI is bullshit.

****...I'm already kind of that guy with FI LOL.
maverick31210 is offline   Reply With Quote