View Single Post
Old May 29th, 2018, 05:15 AM   #9
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
And your wallet will never be the same....

I started riding on the track in 2014 and yeah, it's an addiction. Going to do probably 8 or 10 days this year.

The first year and a half I did swap my fairings for race glass every time. That got really old and when I saw a good deal on a track bike I snapped it up. You can get a perfectly good track bike for $3k or so, already prepped... the trick is to recognize that you do NOT need the biggest, baddest, fanciest bike in the paddock because it's going to be a very long time before the bike limits you. The SV650 is a terrific choice, BTW, and very popular.

A lot of people just tape their lights up and ride. That's certainly an option. I elected not to because my street bike is a near-mint 2011 GSX-R750. Replacement plastics are EXPENSIVE and I didn't want to risk 'em. If my street bike had already been down, I wouldn't have bothered with the race glass.

My rig is about as low-budget as it gets. Harbor Freight trailer (now no longer offered new, but you can find 'em used), chock, ramp and a Honda Fit to tow it.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote