View Single Post
Old July 19th, 2018, 06:57 PM   #17
snapshot
Fogwalker

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 "Matilda"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
Locking the throttle and using clutch "as" throttle, interesting. I could see that being useful. And yes, definitely plan for when you need to stop.

One thing that was helpful in slow-speed maneuverings was a class taught by one of the police departments, which was an entire day of slow-speed runs through tight patterns. Ninety-degree turns, weaves, u-turns, circles, we did it all. And this particular one was free! (Hawthorne PD, "Ride to Live," for anyone local to Los Angeles) Other police departments may offer similar courses as a public service.

It's interesting- even very experienced riders had some difficulties with the courses.
I never made it to that particular class but I know riders that did. We probably have some friends in common. (I really don't miss the traffic!)

I occasionally watched (and assisted) OC Sheriffs practicing for their certs. They never touched the rear brake, but it took them hours to get low-speed stuff down (as it was all throttle).

Try what I posted and see what you think. I can link an on-board video of my practice of it if you like. My students would do a medium-difficulty series of low speed turns (the alley of doom!) at the end of the day and they all did well.

Ride on,

J~