View Single Post
Old May 13th, 2023, 01:27 PM   #1
ninjaguy3333
ninjette.org newbie

Name: derek

Motorcycle(s): 1

Bike dies when choke is shut off

Hello friends!

I have a 2012 ninja 250r. Last winter I was putting her in storage and decided to do some maintenance, because she wasn't running at 100%. The symptoms were sometimes struggling to start, and the throttle not liking it when you opened it too fast. Aggressively opening the throttle all the way at low RPM would even stall the engine and it off. My suspicion was that the carburetor needed cleaning, so I did that (I also changed the plugs and did the coolant, those were getting old.)

Long story short, I disassembled the carb, blasted every orifice with carb cleaner, reamed a few holes (with soft copper wire for those parts I understand are sensitive), put everything back together, and installed the carbs. I also got fresh gas before I tried to start her up again.

Now the problem is this:

She starts really and idles steadily with the choke on, but as soon as I turn it off, she dies.
And from the exhaust smell, she seems to be running a bit lean but im not sure.

I noticed most people having this problem get told to clean the carbs, but that's not the problem here, she ran better before I cleaned them, so I must have done something wrong in reassembly and reinstallation!

Ive tried playing with the idle adjuster, without much luck.

Thanks
ninjaguy3333 is offline   Reply With Quote