View Single Post
Old February 4th, 2012, 04:04 PM   #21
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalNinja250 View Post
That's not the case with forks, especially these forks. Work hardening is more an issue with certain aluminum alloys and with steels that have more carbon than fork tubes have. Also, it takes significant metal deformation to get noticeable work hardening, as in, you'd have to put a couple three 90 degree bends in the tubes. If the forks are folded back at a right angle I'd agree, don't straighten them.

In the case of this particular set of forks, straightening is a perfectly acceptable option that would not result in any safety hazard.

Then again, maybe everything I learned in school was a lie.

LOL!

I've learned long ago to not confuse the words possible and probable with each other. Too many folks use the concepts interchangeably and as a result experience a lot of purposeless fear.

As to the dealer saying don't straighten them, they want to sell the OP a new set of fork tubes, of course they'll say don't straighten them. That's why I suggested going to independent shops because they're likely to have less of a resale profit motive.
Okay so now it is okay to straighten my fork?

As for the dealer thing, they were not just trying to get money from me. Because I went to a non-Kawasaki dealership. And specifically told them I would be doing all the work. No profit there. But they could also be complete boneheads and not have a clue what they are talking about. So I am still open to ideas.

MY CHOICES:
Yes, straighten them. or Heck no that isn't safe.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote