View Single Post
Old May 24th, 2012, 03:04 PM   #18
Whiskey
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocha Man View Post
I got mine for only $80 and it's DOT approved and has the ECE 22.05 standard meaning that the helmet had to be crash tested before leaving the factory if I understand correctly (someone correct me if not). It's relatively quiet and fairly light for its size. AFX FX-90. It has got mixed reviews but for a beginner's helmet I think it's probably the best sub-$100 helmet there is.
If it's already been crash tested it would be in the bin

They randomly sample lids coming off the production line & test them (then bin the tested ones) lids only last one crash with a weight inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainking View Post
DOT is not good enough for my head. I only wear helmets that are Snell Approved. Snell goes above and beyond DOT.

http://www.smf.org/docs/articles/dot
SNELL is not an ideal system either, the double tap from the iron orange test causes manufacturers looking for the rating to over stiffen the foam, you're not going to wear the same lid again after a crash (well maybe to ride to the shop for a new one...) so the double tap test is unrealistic. softer foams fail the double tap, as they absorb most energy in the first impact, slower deceleration is better for your brain.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote