Old January 8th, 2019, 05:50 PM   #2275
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Yeah, it's like sitting in lounge chair!!! Pedaling position isn't as efficient, but is more than offset by improved aerodynamics. Top-speed record for unassisted (non-drafting) human-powered vehicle is ~89mph set by recumbent... Just bit shy of Ninjette's top-speed!
Actually, every study I could find a few years back said that human power output is more or less constant regardless of what an athlete (note, the word "athlete" takes a lot of variation due to fitness changes over time here) is riding, whether it's a diamond frame bike, a recumbent, or a rowing machine. The important part is that time is given to allow for the rider to acclimate to the new vehicle. Rojo is a perfect example of this in real life.

The aero benefit is a huge reason that recumbent bikes are so awesome, and that's for real, not just internet parroting. The frontal area is small on a recumbent, and the drag coefficient goes significantly down if you're able to mount a windscreen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
I had a recumbent bike before I got my first motorcycle. It is very different from the a traditional bike and there is a learning curve before you can ride safety on the street.
Did your last one have boom steer like the cruzbike? If not, get ready for another steep learning curve. They're awesome, but that bottom bracket swings with the steering, which means your handlebars are the only thing counteracting the turning moment applied by your feet. The side benefit is you can steer with your feet if you go no-hand'sies with some experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Still works like regular 2-wheel vehicle. Countre-steering initiates leaning and turning. Depending upon geometry designed into recumbent, it can be more or less responsive than regular upright.
We only ever made one vehicle that was a 2-wheeler during my 3 years on the ASME HPVC team in college; the rest were trikes. It was an aggressive geometry, which likely wasn't a smart choice on our part since none of us had ridden a recumbent before. It took me a full month of evenings riding around the workout facility's indoor track to learn to ride the stupid thing. Once it clicked, it was silly responsive and handled SO WELL. We made easy work of the slalom portion of the endurance course during race day.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote