View Single Post
Old February 16th, 2015, 11:59 AM   #5
micoulisninja
modaholic junkie

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2001 ZX-12R, 2009 ninja 345cc and plenty of others in the past...

I live in Greece...Dinos Nikolaidis Airfilters is a very well-known company throughout Europe for its quality products and in Greece it is highly prefered over K&N even if more expensive some times....
That is a general rule applied here, like the preference you have for Area P's products (totally justifiable IMHO)...
However there are a few things that must be said when it comes to dyno figures...just because there was a lot of discussion about these figures here when the claimed 5-6hp gain was announced and advertised....
so DNA after several greek forums demands gave the conditions under which those 5-6 hp were produced over a totaly stock FI bike
1) those figures are valid ONLY for the FI model
2) power gain of a max 5,9hp difference was the outcome of a fullLeo Vince racing exhaust system coupled with dynojet PC V and the stage 3 DNA product, which in turn was 1,2 hp (claimed) over the same upgrades but with competetive (K&N) airbox drop-in product
3) PC V programming was set for the DNA stage 3 product when dynoed the competitor...
4) no data on how many rolls on dyno for each scenario or humidity/temp conditions...

So my guess is the product does have a gain over the competitor but somewhere in the 0,6-0,8hp of max power...

so the gain is not pure horsepower from an airfilter...however there is a great gain that is not only there, but is felt too...
for one even if the max hp is not so much improved, lower and middle rpm torque is greatly benefited because of the better/quicker engine breathing compared to the stock airbox drop-in products (that's why almost everyone over here withFI bikes have messed with doing stuff and driling holes to the airbox etc)
the second thing is that the engine becomes far more quick revving throughout the rpm range, improving acceleration figures that give an "increased hp" feeling...

So if you are talking about the US carburated version, results will definetely be different...

that is all I know and can tell you for sure... whether the product is value for money or not is another thing just as others would point out that upgrading the 250 is also questionable as far as value for money is concerned...
hope I have helped you more than I -perhaps- confused you..