View Single Post
Old September 6th, 2021, 05:02 AM   #7
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

After looking at one side too long all day I decided to kill 2 birds with one stone and take off about 1/4" off the slider on the right by using the lathe.
I chucked it up with the bracket end facing out in the lathe and just trimmed off 1/4" of the plastic for a smooth finish. then I took it's aluminum sleeve and chucked it up as well and trimmed it down to just a hair under the plastic, so the bolt would crush down that little bit and be good and solid no spinning on the slider !. although I suppose now that I think about it spinning would be a good thing when sliding down the highway on it's side... LOL and to accomplish that all I would have to do is trim off just enough plastic to turn easily when it's bolted up... but Now the short bolt goes all the way in like it should and the sliders are so close to being the same length i pay it no mind now...( you gott'a look real close to tell that the right one is a tad longer than the left one now.)
.... if My kit was any indication of the quality someone else might get i'ed be reluctant to buy it to be honest ... the bolt thing that holds them on was a
P.I.T.A..... the top engine mount bolt ! and it has to be strong so I didn't want to use 3/8" all thread rod for an engine mount bolt but it would have been a fast fix... but threads tear the hell out of aluminum in high vibration environments... I am sure it would elongate the mounting holes in the head,
so I made a bolt by welding 2 3/8"long 8" bolts together so their total length
was 11-1/4" that left plenty or room for washers and a double nut on one side 11" might have been plenty but I wanted to be sure it was long enough LOL doing this meant the threads were not in contact with the head just the steel in the frame hole.
I had to grind off alot of weld because I welded the heck out of it and I am sure it will never brake ! (famous last words right ?)LOL.
Now.... I am getting used to the bike, it's small and compact and has alot of get up and go... the more I ride it the more I like it ! lowering it was a real good thing for me.... that's a heavy little bike and you need a lower seat height.... or longer legs !!!!
Bob.......