View Single Post
Old July 17th, 2011, 12:37 AM   #123
Clearlynotstefan
ninjette.org member

Name: Stefan

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250, Totally black. Gsxr 600 Red.

And one more thing. Anyone who says more torque can't get you out of trouble is out of there mind. I ride a gsxr 600, and a ninja 250, I am an objective source with experience on both. I feel safer on the gsxr, at any speed. Just today alone I must have used the power 10 times to get out of sketchy situations, including two times in which an SUV didn't see me and tried to merge into my lane on the Long Island Expressway. The reality of that situation is you have 3 viable options.
1) You use your torque to blast forward into the ample space you SHOULD be leaving between you and the car in front of you which by the way is something YOU control. This option has the HUGE benefit of taking place entirely within your current line of sight, you don't have to look in your mirrors, or spin your head.

2) You decelerate to create the space for the car to enter the lane. This option requires you to know there is a safe distance behind you, requiring additional time to check mirrors, etc. It also requires blind faith that the car behind you will slow when you suddenly grab the brakes. It always requires the car behind you to be following at a safe distance, which opposed to option one, is OUT of your control.

3) You shift into the lane to the opposite side of the oncoming car. Requires you to check mirrors, and is a game of chance as to whether or not there will even be an opening for a safe lane change, which is not something you really want to be taking time to think about while an SUV is barreling into your lane.

Of the three options provided, in my opinion, one is clearly the safest choice, by a wide margin. It's the fastest, requires the least thinking, requires no game of chance scenerios, and places no expectations on other drivers. Tell me, would torque get you in trouble, or get you out of it in this very common scenario?
Clearlynotstefan is offline   Reply With Quote