View Single Post
Old August 26th, 2021, 04:55 AM   #195
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

What I am seeing in the video is cam timing... but you have said many times that it is right... but it is still doing it ! ... it looks like it's at least 1 tooth off maybe 2 teeth off on the cam timing....
Yes it can jump a tooth during a ride and you get a sudden symptom , it's unlikely but it can happen. I'm betting on cam timing or carb mods that went too far... but ducattiman said they were in good shape so that leaves me with the cams being out of time...
what ever the cause I see blow back from the carbs meaning that piston is coming up when the valve is still open.... it's not a 2 stroke ...it's not supposed to do that ! LOL... that would cause the slides to flutter and give a poor running engine every where on the RPM range.... it's cam timing!.... triple check the marks on the cams not the white marks the "stamp marks" they have to be perfect.... .... if that is it, then why did it jump out of time during a ride ???
cam chain tensioner incorrectly set or stuck ? ....I've seen cam chain tensioners stuck because the owner tightened the bolt to tightly maring the slide rod and it would not extend beyond that point.
good luck ! I hope you find it ! that is a puzzler indeed !
Bob......