Thread: DIY- Oil Change
View Single Post
Old September 15th, 2015, 06:55 AM   #497
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaOrbit View Post
Sorry to bring this back from the dead - but I had n00b question -

Just did my first oil change on my new-to-me Ninjette. I filled the oil level to just under the upper fill line in the sight glass - except I had it on the rear stand at the time.

Put it down completely on the ground and looked at it again - sight glass appears completely full. I'm assuming I overfilled it, right? Solution is to drain from the bottom again until the level comes back down (and check the level with both tires on the ground)? If not, when you do, the level will drop significantly.

Thanks!
When you changed the oil and filled it did you run the engine to warm and circulate the oil and fill the filter (assuming you changed the filter also)?

To properly check the level you should run the engine for a couple of minutes to warm and circulate the oil, then turn it off and wait 3 minutes to check the level. With the cycle completely level, check that the oil level is between the high and low marks, then top it off to just under the high mark. Being on the center stand shouldn't matter as long as the ground is level in both directions.

You need to keep and eye on the oil level because the Ninja will pump some oil into the airbox from the crankcase breather when running at high RPMs (like most of the time).

What oil did you use?
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote