Thread: Chinese radical
View Single Post
Old January 6th, 2016, 09:06 AM   #22
tgold
ninjette.org sage

Name: Timm

Motorcycle(s): 2006 1050 Speed Triple, 2010 250 Ninja racebike, YZF320RR? Racebike

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noobman View Post
First time I've seen this kind of front suspension system on a motorcycle. I find it strange and possibly dangerous.

Is it just me or would a front end collision to this bike lead to potential damage throughout the entire frame of the bike ? Since it is all "interconnected" it seems, as opposed to a traditional fork system, I'm sure "energy transfer" would play a big role to multiple damage points (bends, cracks, warping) to other areas of the frame/body...

Also, was the guy riding the bike near the end of the video, super small ? or is the bike super big ? ... I'm sure a 125/150cc doesn't look THAT huge .??
No more dangerous than any other front suspension in a collision. Any collision this bike that is severe enough to damage the frame on this bike would very likely result in frame damage to a conventionally suspended bike. It's possible that it could survive crash damage even better than a bike with regular forks because the suspension has multiple mounting points and the impact force would be spread out over more than just the single mounting point of a forked bike. Bikes with telescopic forks have to have heavily reinforced steering heads in order to take the force applied by a long lever. That's not really a good thing as far as weight and handling is concerned.

I'm sure that when the first bike with telescopic front forks came out there was a guy who was concerned that the front wheel would drop right off the bike if you did a wheelie
tgold is offline   Reply With Quote