Old June 14th, 2017, 05:54 AM   #7748
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Oil filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
I did a quick oil change today. First time I changed the oil on the 'new for me' Ninjita.

I used Kawasaki performance Full Synthetic SAE 10w-40. It took 2.5 quarters changing the filter as well.
I only do about 3000 miles a year, so I change my oil yearly.

Good thing is that I didn't have to take out any fairings.
The filter wasn't over tightened, so it easily came out by hand. New filter came in by hand as well. No leaks.

The oil plug is very accessible without removing any fairing, and the oil pours out nicely into the pan. In my previous bike, even taking out some fairings, I had to put some aluminum foil to prevent the oil from pouring on the header pipes.
The crush washer looked like new, so I reused it. No leaks there either.

So, all in all, I was done in about 20 mins.
I expected to feel a difference in the gear shifting, to be smoother, but no change. So I guess the old oil was still good. It had 3000 miles.

Only thing to mention is the common issue about the ebay sellers offering the filter <16097-0004 Made in Japan>, and then sending a filter <16097-0008 Made in China>.
I bought the "Ninja 300 Full Synthetic Oil Change Kit" from seller 'fullthrottlemotorsportsiowa' for $52
The description of the item didn't specify what filter was included, but the picture clearly showed the filter 0004 Made in Japan.
I asked the seller about this, and he said. "Yes, it's the superseeded part. Sorry.".
I sent him a second email but there was no response, so I ended up leaving him neutral feedback.
if you want the filter made in japan, be sure to ask before buying. And avoid this seller, as for what I see, he didn't change the picture or the description after my inquire.
I'm using genuine Kawasaki oil filters right now but I might try a Fram in the future. You get no "O" rings with the Kaw filter and I hear you do with the Fram.

Bill
Ram Jet is offline   Reply With Quote