Thread: Oh my God!
View Single Post
Old March 30th, 2021, 06:05 PM   #1
Ducati999
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Oh my God!

Hello all,
I just helped a friend try to remove a stuck oil drain bolt from his Yamaha YZ426F. We spent 4 hours trying to get this bolt to budge but were unsuccessful. I have never owned a new bike and have worked on over 100 bikes in my time, several ground up restorations and I have never failed to get a bolt unstuck. To my dismay, the owner did not even spray it with penetrating oil and he had rounded the (Must be plastic cause steel dont smear like that!) bolt head before he called for help. There is limited space to access the bolt(unless you pull the motor) so I was limited to what tools could be used. I finally resorted to drilling (Sump full of oil right above) and an easy out. I used the largest size I could and the inside of the bolt appears to be as soft type of cheese as the outside. The easy out simply bit until enough torque was applied and it would just slip---until 1/4" of the tip(can I say that on this forum??) broke off inside the cheese bolt. Now things get interesting, what to do next? Pull motor, weld an actually made out of steel nut to the head of the drain bolt or try to file the bolt flat on 2 opposing sides and try vice grips or such devices? What do the local experts recommend? I did try propane torch heat and even a freshly sharpened chisel to move this bolt(previous owner assures me they did NOT use thread lock) but she is stuck tight.

Let me know your "go to" move for stuck bolt removal--remember its shredded and drilled out.

thanks in advance for any ideas you might provide
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote