Thread: Snow Tires
View Single Post
Old November 22nd, 2010, 03:41 PM   #2
Sailariel
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Indrish, One word: Don't. Not unless you plan on totally trashing your bike. In 1961 I was a college student who was so poor that money thought I was dead. I could not afford a car then, but had an ancient BMW 500cc motorcycle with sidecar. I was in Syracuse NY, where the average snowfall for the winter is 200 inches. I put two cement blocks into the sidecar, got some knobby tyres, and rode all winter showing up in class covered in salty slush, shivering from the cold (We did not have the clothing available today) Riding in this slop was a challenge, to say the least. I still slid and slided all over the place. I would never do it again. Knobby tyres are OK for Jeeps and such. The Ninja is just too sport oriented to be driven on slippery roads. I am sure that someone on this forum will disagree with me, which is OK--purpose of the forum is to exchange information--not to get into pissing matches. My advice to you, and it is only my perception, is to really give this very careful thought. Motorcycles are not meant to be ridden on ice and snow--The only exception being a Ural sidecar rig. Try to find an alternative-even if it means riding the bus--Your Ninja will thank you for it.