Thread: Snow Tires
View Single Post
Old December 14th, 2012, 02:49 PM   #37
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
I have ridden dirtbikes in the snow a few times and even that is no easy task. And consider an MX dirtbike weights 215lbs which means it is a hell of a lot easier to put your foot down to save it when you need to, and the riding position and techniques for turning and cornering make this easier as well and cater towards loss of traction.

So with that tire you will get traction to get moving no problem in the snow, thick wet snow is sticky to so no problem their, light stuff is trickier. But traction to get moving isn't the problem, especially with the ninja250 as its power doesn't exactly hit hard which is perfect for riding in the snow. Its turning you have to worry about. You won't be able to lean the bike like normal to make curves whatsoever, you will lose the front, and go low side, and you will try to save the fall with your leg but most likely blow out your knee or something similar as ninja weights 360lbs not 215lbs like a dirtbike. I don't even need to say you will lose the rear end around turns as that is obvious and you better get used to it, and perfect counter steering and drifting.

If you go more than a few MPH in snow on a normal route you are going to crash, most likely several times, there is no (maybe) here.

Add onto all of this you have to deal with ice build up on brakes, snow pack in tires and your stopping ability is non existent, lock up the front and you are going down. Oh and your rear tire will lock up instantly if you touch the rear brake, and even sometimes just with engine braking

I road my MX bike in the snow over thanksgiving weekend in PA riding with my buddy. I went down 3 times before i called it quits and the 3rd time i was going down a hill and my front brake iced up and could not slow down at all just picked up speed and had to dump the bike. At that point i said, This sh!t is crazy, i don't need to hurt myself out here which is a high probability. We did the same thing last year in Oct. It was fun but like i said, crashing is not an odd occurrence.

Will be looking for your post in the (@*&^@$*#^!!#*&^*) Crashed!!! thread
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote