View Single Post
Old December 5th, 2012, 07:47 AM   #1
RockyCapone
ninjette.org member

Name: Rocky

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250

Its like a whole new world with upgrades...sorta

My Pregen was not what you would call a poster child for best of maintenance but when I bought it 3 months ago for the price I figured what the hell why not, I haven't driven since I was 17 years old and if I buy this and dont like it no biggy I'm only out 1400 bucks.
With all the help of this website and ninja250.org I made some adjustments or upgrades based on everyone elses trial and error.
After I rebuilt my carbs rebuilt and sync'd, along with the valves I had to address my tire problem. Both tires wrong size and not to mention the rear tire was a front.
Instead of cheaping out I bought the triple clamp stand for the front and the cradle type for the rear on Ebay for 100.50 with free shipping. Then ordered Kenda tires 100/90-16 front and 130/90-16 for the rear. These tires are much bigger than my originals so at first thought I ordered wrong but it was all good. I also had to address my slightly off handle bars and as long as Im this far Im going to change out my brake pads and fork fluid.
Without boring everyone on my write up of an old pregen bottom line is unreal results.
For the forks I filled to 160 mm or ml at 15 weight oil it was based on ninja250's write up and I'm 195 lbs so this might be perfect. I'm not big on adding spacers to springs in forks, I tried that with my son when he competed in dirtbikes and results always dissapointing so I wouldnt go that route either.
I haven't switched the pads yet but like he said in the write just sitting on it I knew the bike was taller from the correct tires and as soon as I pulled out of the drive and hit the curb I'm like whoha some things different here and I'm like holy crap the bars are perfect bike drives very very nice now and somehow even at 15 mph it felt tighter, hard to explain.
As Im idling around the my neighborhood I figured let me try some firm not crazy front brake stops only and see if this green bugger nose dives still. To my amazement it stopped perfectly and not like a sponge where my headlight wanted to kiss the ground.
But anyways to all you guys as usually thanks for the write ups.
Tonight I tend to the chain and the pads.