View Single Post
Old August 28th, 2012, 12:48 AM   #221
psych0hans
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA-Moo View Post
Coming from the "skinny tire" era, fat tires on low HP bikes are only fashion.

For performance, including racing, you want the smallest tires to do the job. Lighter rotational weight, less steering effort and quicker transition are 3 advantages, and probably less cost as a bonus.

I vintage race, and my 500 2 stroke puts out 84 RWHP. I use a 100 front, and 110 rear. (both on 2.15" rims) And when/if I ever finish my 250 2 stroke vintage racer, it should be around 50 RWHP and I will be using a 90 front and 100 rear.

And the big 1000 vintage super bikes are limited to 140 rear tires, and they are 100 plus HP. So even the stock 130 on the Ninja 250 is more fashion than necessity with 30 to 40 HP.

So if you are out to look cool with fat tires, that's cool. But for performance, fat rim and tire money could be used better elsewhere...

That's my 2 cents.......
Thanks for your insight. Really makes sense. I was thinking about getting these, but was having serious after thoughts about it.