View Single Post
Old June 30th, 2023, 11:57 AM   #137
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Hummm.... today I got into the Ninja's front forks er one of them anyway....
but I can't get the bloody thing apart your supposed to pull out the inner tube to drive the seal out and after about 30 minutes of pounding on it and braking it free every time because it jams up at the very end I've got the seal about 1/16" from coming out....
I hate to admit it but I did start pounding on it before I had the keeper clip out...my bad
I should have noticed it but the clip was coated in black oil and I didn't notice it till after about 5 minutes of pounding on it.... I got the clip out and it moved alot several times and then vertually stopped coming out ! they have a special tool you clamp on the lowers to add weight but they don't tell you how your supposed to clamp the upper tube with out damageing it ! wrap it in rags and put the rags in the vice and pound a few times while it slowly slides out I guess..... but I almost got it out now ...i had to take a break.... I'm still sore from that ride yesterday and the beating I took getting to that lake. glad I did finally make it to the lake because I won't be back there...once was enough ..... and no fishies either !
I had a hell of a time getting the spring clip out of the top of the shock... but I finally got behind it with the cap pushed down about 1/8" and got the end out and then worked around it and got it out....
it should be as easy as replacing the seals but getting the silly inner tube out of the outer tube is a bear ! I may have to replace the bushings as well because of all the pounding.... I hope not I think I can freshen them up with some fine emery cloth
but right now their kind'a binding going in and out.... not good !
Bob.....