View Single Post
Old October 1st, 2014, 09:49 AM   #5
Rustitution
World Class Ninja

Name: Rusty

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Ninja 250, 96 VFR750, 79 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Ok well let us continue this adventure. The cams are held on with 4 caps and a timing chain guide. the time caps are ordered 1-4 so I took them off in reverse order. and then took off the timing chain. now these bolts all have a particular place so I would recommend that you place them back into the top end after you remove the caps and the camshafts or keep everything separated in little baggies. I personally do both depending on the part.

in bag

Where they came from

After you have taken off the caps and the chain guide remove the Timing chain tensionor you can remove the cams you should have some slack in the chain so just lift and roll toward the center and then lift the chain off.

Be careful about 2 things 1 do not let the chain fall into it's channel and do not let anything else fall into the card depth of the crankcase or you may find yourself needing to do a lot more then you were planning on doing.

After you have the Cams off remove and organize the rocker arms they are not bolted down to anything and can easily get lost.

after that there are 8 12mm bolts you need to remove to take the head off, 7 are right here inside the head

The other one is on the exhaust side bolted up into the head I didn't snag a picture of it. if you do not remove this bolt you will pull the entire head and cylinder off leaving you with the crank case and pistons. (I don't have a picture of this bolt because I didn't remove it. at first.
Rustitution is offline   Reply With Quote