View Single Post
Old November 20th, 2019, 10:21 PM   #6
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
CodeRACE

CodeRACE is a special program offered by California Superbike which moves the focus from general technique to race specific refinement. Rules are changed appropriately: passing is allowed to be more aggressive (but still polite/safe), and a few tools are utilized around this, such as alternate line analysis and speed demonstration/experimentation via radar. While it does not have a specific California Superbike prerequisite, I would say that I’d recommend having done at least levels 1-3 to get the most from the program.

The lectures are less formal and much shorter, and usually focus on things like race mindset. Things are discussed with an eye towards maximizing race performance – one of my favorites was a discussion of how many riders will try to ‘push’ their skills when they are already near the limit, while they would benefit more from areas where the limit is farther away on top of not risking going over the limit and having a “Bad Time”™.

Discussions with the coach follow the lecture, and are less Socratic and more student directed. There are a series of practice sessions, some more open in format than others, a few techniques that are specifically focused on are things like high line/mid line/low line and race starts. After these there is a qualifying session which determines grid order and then an actual race.

I will say it is hard to concretely evaluate and describe the CodeRACE experience relative to all the other programs. I won’t say I prefer it to them but I do find it an incredibly valuable supplement, especially for someone interested in (or already) racing.