View Single Post
Old July 6th, 2018, 08:59 PM   #1
sh123469
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): EX250, Suzuki Savage, 76 Goldwing restoration project, 71 CB350, 73 Yamaha GT1,

right cyl cutting out above 4000

Just started today. 05 Ninja 250 with 17k miles. Been running great and all of a sudden, it cuts out on the right side above about 4000 rpm. It will rev way past that in neutral and go past that very quickly and then sputter when taking off. You can't keep the throttle where the engine will run above 4k once you get moving or it runs on 1 cyl.

Anybody have any ideas where to look?

I'm thinking and for some reason not enough fuel is getting into the right carb. That cyl kind of sputters and dies just like it ran out of gas. You will hear it sputter a little sometimes on the road. As soon as you let off the gas and get back below about 4k or stop at a light, it is running on both cylinders again. I tried going up a hill at about 3k and opening the throttle, it sputtered and the cyl died at just above 3k with a well opened throttle. Again sounds like a fuel issue.

I have checked the little fuel filter inside the carb inlet and it is not clogged either. My guess is something either got shook loose or made it through and is clogging the fuel flow past the float valve.

Somebody give me some inspiration. I guess I'll be pulling carbs tomorrow.

Steve
sh123469 is offline   Reply With Quote