View Single Post
Old May 3rd, 2023, 08:03 PM   #80
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Well, My carbs should be back here tomorrow... so that's cool....
I tried out my new $200.00 welder on welding up the hand guard that i broke on the Kids TT250 the other day... and it did a good job...can't complain at all !
...this welder is supposed to be a 200amp Tig and stick welder but it came without a flow regulator or bottle of argon.... those I will have to get later....
but as far as welding DC stick aluminum rod (nasty stuff on it's good day!) it actually worked better than I remember it working on my Old DC welder ! ...
I built up the airea around where the thing broke so it should be stronger now...
$29.00 for 1/4lb of that aluminum welding rod now....OUCH ! and I used 2 rods already
that stuff is really hard to work with...it covers everything with it's flux a sodium based flux that runs everywhere ! so you gott'a chip it off and off the tip of the rod before you can strike an arc... it took me about an hour to weld it.... I tried something new this time.... I pre heated the part with a propane torch and I do think that helped quite a bit
it was a small weld job but I had the welder set at 100 amps because I know these cheap welders are very generous on their read outs...
it was a battle using that SALT ROD as some call it... but it did coat the part good and it LOOKS alot sturdier than it was.... we'll see I guess.
I mainly got that welder because it was a cheap TIG I need that to silicone bronze braze the gear teeth in the Logan 922 lathe I have.... it's got some tore up gears in it and one of the previous owners used the screw method of replacing missing teeth in the bull gear.... it works but it makes a tic,tic,tic. sound when running it in back gears.
and I have one other gear I need to fix too ...it looks like a bolt fell into that one while it was running.... it's tore up pirty bad, so I made another gear out of aluminum to replace it with.... but I can fix that gear now that I can braze with the silicone bronze
.... I don't know if I need argon for just brazing or not... all the video's show the guys using it, but is it NECESSARY or not is my question.... i don't think so because your just using the torch to Heat.... not to melt the metal your bonding the bronze to
.... so I might try it without the argon ! LOL... what have I got to loose but a $5.00 stick of silicone bronze ? yah that stuff is outrageous in price !!!!
I really need to get the Ninja out of the shop !!! I need the room !
it's the size of a single car garage and with a bench along one wall and the lathe along the other there is about 6' between them...and the Ninja in in the Middle of that ! LOL
.... needless to say I have to be real careful on how I walk around in there at the moment.
I'll let ya know if the carbs come tomorrow !
Bob......