View Single Post
Old August 21st, 2020, 06:08 AM   #8
Idealhobbies
ninjette.org member

Name: Allan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2003 Yamaha Vstar 650

Follow-up

A buddy and I changed the sprockets and chain out. I ended up going with a pair of JT Sprockets 15/44. I am (shamefully) about 210lbs and do ride up to Pennsylvania and Maryland at times (hills and mountains) so I didn't think that a 42 on the back would work too well in that environment. If I was just sticking to flat Delaware, I would have tried the 42 in the rear. I used a RK Racing 520XSO 106-Link X-Ring Chain. All in all, it went well. Only real issue that we had was getting off the rear tire bolt. The mechanic that I use obviously did not torque down the bolt to spec. I had to lean across the bike and hold it down while my buddy tried to wrench it off. We ended up having to get out his air wrench. That's strike 2 for that mechanic and his last. Shame, but I think that I'll have to find another place to get my bikes worked on.

As for the ride... it dropped my RPM at 55 down about 1000. My bikes really "happy place" was at 50 before, now it's between 55 and 60. Perfect. 1st gear added about 5 to 8 mph of usefulness. Doesn't sound like much, but it is when on your little street leaving the house. Not sure yet about gas mileage. It's should add some, but not sure how much yet.

Thank you Danny and Jim for your advice and input.

For those in the future who are using the search function...
The sprockets:

JT Sprockets JTF516.15 15T Steel Front Sprocket

JT Sprockets JTR486.44 44T Steel Rear Sprocket

Last futzed with by Idealhobbies; September 14th, 2020 at 09:38 PM.
Idealhobbies is offline   Reply With Quote