View Single Post
Old May 15th, 2022, 10:06 PM   #46
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

I can't do that buddy I put the shock back in the bike with the stock spring
it does compress a bit when you take it off the side stand and stand it up ... but when I sit on it it's no give at all.... weird !
.... the shock itself has a 2" stroke believe it or not !
and with that short of a stroke you can adjust up the pre-load nuts to the point of the shock bottoming out and the nuts are completely clear of the spring
as you adjust up the preload nuts you drop the shock piston in it's cylinder
if you do that far enough you'll bottom out the piston in the shock !
as the swing arm comes up and the frame of the bike goes down the shock is compressed I had it all the way backed out on the pre-load nuts to get the seat as low as possible.... bad move ! at the most you can go about 1/2" with this shock and spring and that's probably WHY they put such a heavy spring in there with only 2" of travel before bottoming out it doesn't leave much wiggle room
so I put the pre-load nuts at the top of the spring with the shock fully extended on the bench and locked the nuts together there....then put it all back together.... and yes Now I can only touch with the balls of my feet not flat footed anymore.... Phittttt !
but I want that full extent of that short travel shock which I probably have now.... ( not that I would bet on it by any means, LOL.because you can see it compress a little when taking it off the side stand ) not much but some.
I didn't take it out for a ride today I got fussing with the Triumph instead
I'll do that tomorrow .... I expect the same hard ride I had when I first rode it... but at least I know it is not bottoming out because the way I had it.
I expect it to be hard now, although I have let the air out of the air shock and that should help some but I aired up the rear tire again so it's going to be rough ! but at least on the big bumps there might be some cushion their wasn't any before a lump of asphalt on Hoy road would literally dislodge my helmet ! and I strap it down good too ! that is because I was riding it with the shock bottomed out and the spring had no effect...it wasn't even in the picture ! now the spring will be working and we'll see how bad it is !
sense the first ride I have been fine tuning this suspension I got the front forks real close to the point of not diving when the front brake is applied
which is good, and I loosened up the rear shock because they had it on the hardest slowest position now it is as fast as it can go !
although I am not real sure that is going in the right direction or not on the rear shock I figure the faster reaction should give me the smoothest ride
it will also catapult me over the handle bars because there is LESS dampening too... so if that becomes a problem I'll turn it down in the back.
Yes My initial quest for flat footed ness on the RX4 has been a boondoggle !
a total screw up because of that short stroke in the shock the only way to lower that bike in the rear is with a lowering kit, or for me to make one myself !....... the front forks will go back up...I haven't done that yet but I will
but I will not put them all the way flush with the triple trees... I'll leave some rake in it because I like the quicker steering that provides !
yah a 17" shock with only 2" of travel boggles the mind at least 4" of threads for the preload nuts so you can back them all the way off and bottom out the shock...... it's the only bike I have ever messed with that you can do that !
I guess they used a part they had on hand because it makes no sense at all !
Normally when you back off the preload to the top of the shock you have plenty of travel left in the shock to function... that worked on the XR650L I had ... but not on this beast you back off the preload nuts and it bottoms out the shock completely ! STUPID beyond words !
oh and the center to center on the suspension is 2.75" not quite 3" just so you know... LOL....
did that answer your questions ?
Bob.....