View Single Post
Old May 17th, 2022, 11:46 PM   #288
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Well, I didn't take it into the shop so I did it in the back yard.... I put it on it's center stand and pulled off the caliper then took it into the shop....
then I tried to figure out how to pull it apart....
after a few hours of fussing with it I tried taking out the outer seal on the cup/pistons.... that worked real good as it gave me enough of the piston that was exposed now to grab it with a pare of needle nose vicegrips ( I love those things)
so then I could hold the vicegrips and I used an extension to pry and turn the piston with a long screwdriver.... that worked in turning the piston so in pulling up and out and turning at the same time I finally got the pistons out and I could clean it up.... one piston does have a divot in it about half way down the side but other than that they cleaned up nicely and would fall into the caliper with no resistance with the inner seal removed..... getting the inner caliper wall clean was a long battle but I finally got them clean and polished up real good
I put the old seals back in and re assembled the calipers and put it back on after I took the wire wheel to the brake shoes to get the glaze off them.
then put it back on the bike the speedometer take off on the rear wheel gave me fits but I finally got it on there I had to put on and take off the rear wheel several times just to get that darn speedo sending unit on there right ..both of the pins are broken off of it but I managed to jerry rig a piece of zip tie super glued on there to act ad the turning pin.... that way if it does get ripped out of there it won't hurt the bearings.
once I got it all back to gether and found the rear wheel turns good by it's self I started bleeding the rear brake again.... I don't remember exactly what I did last time to get all the air out of it but there is definitely a trick to it
because I still have air in the system..... I think I blead every joint where the hoses connect and finished off at the bleeder valve I tried that but there is still some air in it..... but the brake is releasing and the caliper is not leaking
either... which is a surprise because I used the old seals ! LOL
some times you get lucky I guess !
I did buy a vacuum outfit for bleeding the brakes on the Ninja but I didn't bother digging it out....
the manual says to take the bracket loose from the axle and let the thing dangle when you bleed the rear brake ...that may be what I did last time
but as hard as it was to get that axle in and keep that speedo sending unit on there at the right place I am trying to avoid doing that.... I may have to though ! UGH !
..... so tomorrow I hope to finish getting the air out of the rear brake and take her for a ride we'll see....
then I can continue working on the RX4.
Bob.....