View Single Post
Old October 9th, 2018, 04:06 PM   #1
propilot
ninjette.org member

Name: keV

Motorcycle(s): 04 ex250

WTF is the problem now?

Bike runs strong for 10 minutes then dies! Riding in NYC, that's a serious safety hazard especially on the highway. WTF!

I read another thread where someone had same issue but he never followed up with what the issue was He also went all out..carb rebuild, valve adjustment, chain and sprocket adjustment, basically dismantled entire bike.. eff that!

Imma do it much simpler (ie lazy version) and let u kno what actually was wrong. I'm heading in 2 directions. Fuel and coolant.

Fuel because bike sat for 8-10 months and ran better when i emptied 90% of tank and refilled it. I say 90% cuz I drained it w a hose but couldn't get gas out of gutters (hose too short & too lazy to take tank off). Also fuel because I used a 5/8th fuel hose and ebay inline metal cone filter. From what i gather 5/16" is the correct size and inline filters r not gravity fed. I need to research this more tho.

And I'm thinking coolant cuz, although bike stays in the 1/4 to half temp range, I lost a lot of coolant the other day (right side of bike - not sure where, fairings were on and I was late for work) and my baby ran smoother and faster last time I flushed coolant out. Before i order a water pump and thermostat, I will do some more testing first.

Also if i shift between 4-5k rpm, bike wont shut off but sounds like a tractor right now (suspecting low coolant from the loss). If i redline her, she starts sputtering and shuts off. I have to let her cool 5 minutes before she'll start back up. More to come. Sorry for long intro.
propilot is offline   Reply With Quote