View Single Post
Old August 11th, 2011, 09:33 AM   #1
d16soda
ninjette.org member

Name: pj

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250

Erratic idle, wont start cold, etc.

So, I have a 2005 Ninja 250 - really great condition mechanically. It only has 2,000 miles and has been maintained it's whole life. Recently went to jail, and didnt run the gas out of the carbs before i went. I know, bonehead move. Rebuilt and cleaned the carbs, synchronized the throttle, and put it all back together. Here is my issue:

Wont start cold. Choke seems to make no difference. I have to use ether/carb cleaner to get it started initially.
When it runs, the idle is crazy and wont seem to stay still. I am constantly adjusting it to make it rideable.
While riding, seems to surge a tiny bit, not too much though.
Cant run it anywhere near stable until it is completely warmed up.

What are my options? Ideas? The carb is correctly connected to the airbox with no air leak as far as i am concerned and the two intake hoses to the block are snug and fitted correctly.

Edit: recleaned and resynced carbs, and put it back on the bike. Idles fine, jumps up a little like there is a vacuum leak. About to go on my break at work (work in a mechanics shop so i have access to tools, lifts, etc. on my break) and I am going to fire up my bike and let it warm up to see if problems persist.

Yesterday, although idling fine, I put it in gear, and when i released the clutch the tach and lights would die and the engine would slowly fall like the fuel was being cut. If i pulled the clutch the gauge cluster would come back to life and the engine would continue idling. Now, I dont remember having the kickstand down but I did read that there was a kickstand switch that would prevent it from moving in gear. Also, my battery was very dead (left the key on during work up until lunch). Battery is charged reading 13v, installed, and i will make sure i have the kickstand up this time. Any ideas though why the clutch engaging would kill the enging?
d16soda is offline   Reply With Quote