Thread: Race Tires 2017
View Single Post
Old July 6th, 2017, 08:13 PM   #43
Zaph42
ninjette.org sage

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300 (race), Ninja 1000 (road)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgold View Post
The biggest thing to me is that the A 13 front will slide earlier than the Pirelli. I was working on my line on a fairly tricky low speed corner and I hit some bumps at the apex which produced a chatter-slide-chatter. Biggest front end slide I’ve had in a while.
I'd agree that overall Supercorsas are better than the Dunlop A13's. I'd also agree that when you get to the point where you are shooting for the top step on the podium, it's probably time to move to the Pirellis. But at that point you're probably blowing big bucks on supersport engine builds, refreshes, 2 cans of MR12 every weekend and a fresh set of tires for every race. Everyone has got to realize their place and spend accordingly. I think the majority of the grid could run A13's just fine.

Something to note that I have found - The amount of chatter from the front of the Dunlops can be reduced when you realize that suspension settings that work for Supercorsas will not work as well for Dunlops. You have to make changes because the carcases are so different. I fought that with Dunlops years ago. Back then is was the Unbeaten 02s, but the A13's have a similar carcass.

One more comment for this thread: There is discussion about tire widths. EVERYONE has to say whether they have a 300 with a 4" rim or a 250 with a 3.5" rim. (or a 250 retrofitted with a 4" rim too) To add to the confusion, people have reported that a certain width doesn't work well but not saying the rim width. IMHO: 300's need a 150 and 250's need the 140.

300's with a 140 on them can run out of edge. (very quickly if your body position sucks) 250's with a 150 pinched on the rim will run out of friction coefficient before the edge can touch down and enlarge the contact patch. Both of these situations limit the maximum lean angle.